Posts Tagged N40L
Storage Spaces driver.
Symptoms of this issue:
- Hard drive activity light solid on
- Occasional disk hangs
- Event ID 129 in Windows logs storahci “Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.”
- Go to Power Options > Advanced > PCI Express > Link State Power Management and set it to Off.
- Reboot the server
Fully resolved the issue for me.
I’m mostly documenting this as a way for me to remember it, but anyone is free to learn from my doings or leave their own comments.
Configuration is 3x2TB hard drives in bays 0, 1, 2. Bay 3 is empty. (I’m considering adding a 4th 2TB drive and reshaping to RAID-6 at some point in the future.)
Partitioned as follows (MBR):
- 50GB as RAID
- 4GB as RAID
- 1.9TB (max) as RAID
RAID setup (mdadm) as follows:
- md0: partition 1 (50GB) RAID-5, 3 units, 0 spares. EXT4, bootable, mounted at / [Total 100GB+parity]
- md1: partition 2 (4GB) RAID-5, 3 units, 0 spares. swap [Total 8GB+parity]
- md2: partition 3 (1.9TB) RAID-5, 3 units, 0 spares. EXT4, mounted at /srv [Total 3.8TB+parity]
Packages installed during installation:
GRUB installed to MBR
The very first thing to do after installation is to update. SSH in and run the following:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get upgrade
May get the following complaint about kernel updates being held back:
The following packages have been kept back: linux-headers-generic-lts-quantal linux-image-generic-lts-quantal 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
This is the fix:
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Coming up… more installations…