Archive for April 13th, 2013
I’ve been trying for a long time to figure out why I was having poor network performance in certain cases, as outlined below:
- While downloading a large amount of data over the wireless network, uploading data would cause an interruption in the download.
- High CPU use while uploading data.
- Streaming videos would stagger / pop / not buffer correctly, and processes would hang, while playing them back over the wireless network (WLAN).
- Diminishing upload speeds over time.
These effects were greatly increased while uploading data, even small amounts.
Today I found what I believe is the cause: a setting in MalwareBytes real-time protection which causes this. Specifically, the Website Blocking real-time protection module. When I disabled the Website protection (by right-clicking the taskbar icon and unchecking Website Protection, or opening the program and going to Protection and unchecking Enable malicious website protection) performance returned to normal.
If you’re experiencing the same, and the above fix works for you, be sure to also uncheck “Start malicious website blocking when protection module starts” otherwise the above changes will likely revert at reboot.
This is based on MalwareBytes AntiMalware v 220.127.116.110
Please feel free to comment below. Thank you!