The configuration defaults for GNOME Power Manager have not been installed

A friend brought me a Ubuntu system with the following issue:

On entering gdm, the login prompt was displayed on a black background and the following message appeared in the top-right corner:

“The configuration defaults for GNOME Power Manager have not been installed correctly. Please contact your computer administrator.”

Trying to log in as any user account was unsuccessful.

I don’t remember where I found the fix, but here’s what I did to fix it:

Once the gdm login screen appears, press CTRL-ALT-F1, which will switch you to a text-based login prompt, and log in using an account that has sudo privleges.

Run the following command:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

It may take a minute or two to complete. After that:

sudo reboot

After the reboot, when gdm appears you should have your colored background and the message should not appear.

Questions, comments, and feedback on this are welcome.

1. #1 by Andrei on July 9, 2011 - 9:06 am

Doesn’t work… this is ******* me off,Linux suc**ed like it was and now i have more problems with it then i had with my windows 7

2. #2 by tshepiso on November 30, 2011 - 10:06 am

i have the same message on my webbook.and when i try all this it says login incorrect.please help

• #3 by Mike on November 30, 2011 - 6:29 pm

If you’re getting ‘login incorrect’, it’s probably because you’re entering your username or password incorrectly.

3. #4 by tshepiso on December 1, 2011 - 3:38 pm

i tried more than 18 times now,please help with other options,im entering right username and password but it says login incorrect and doesnt even allow me to finish writing password

4. #5 by Mark Richards on December 27, 2011 - 5:27 pm

Worked perfectly here. Just had to bear down on CTRL-ALT-F1 until a login finally appeared.

Thanks for this tip.

5. #6 by Melanie on May 2, 2012 - 9:53 am

ctrl alt f1 doesn’t seem to help.. any suggestions?

6. #7 by murali on November 8, 2012 - 9:16 pm

try ctl+atl+f2

7. #8 by Genevieve on April 8, 2013 - 3:46 pm

I got the webbook from a friend but when I try to login in it reads that message and I tried all the tips you guys give but does not work,its says login incorrect even when the username and password is correct

8. #9 by Armin on January 5, 2014 - 2:22 am

for those who have this problem on a debian-based distro (debian, ubuntu, or …), login to a virtual console (Ctrl+F2 or F3 or …). then login as “root” (or your username if the root user has not been allowed to login). then type:
    #> /sbin/fixfiles onboot

If it says “command not found”, then install “policycoreutils” first and run the command again. to install:
    #> apt-get install policycoreutils