How to install BCM4318 Airforce One 54g in Ubuntu Natty

Getting the Broadcom BCM4318 [Airforce One 54g] working under Ubuntu Natty only relies on getting the proper wireless firmware installed. Kudos to NMI who did the in-depth testing on this one.

In Synaptic package manager, install the firmware-b43-installer package. Or, at a terminal, enter the following:

sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer

This should install the necessary firmware and enable your wireless device within moments.

It sounds like this may be related to the BCM4328 chipset issue.

Please share any feedback you have in the comments below. Thank you.

, , ,

1. #1 by NMI on May 9, 2011 - 9:43 am

I have noticed some issues since I got my Wifi card to be recognized using the above method [Thanks again Mike for posting it].
    On said machine, I was now noticing via the wireless a very poor connection to sites. Sites that I know are working fine [my own, here at MikeBeach.org, etc..]
    To see if is the machine, or the connection, I disabled the wifi and re-enabled the the lan port [Auto eth0]. Everything appears to be working now at proper speeds. I will continue mucking with this to let you know if I come up with any sort of working solutions.

• #2 by Mike on May 9, 2011 - 11:22 am

Would you mind uninstalling (purging) all the packages you mentioned and installing them one-at-a-time to see which package gives you a working configuration?

Perhaps having multiple firmware installations is causing performance issues with your card.

2. #3 by NMI on May 9, 2011 - 2:05 pm

Got it resolved!
    Uninstalled all firmware that was mentioned in the original post.
    Installed: b43-fwcutter [ver 1:013-3]
    Got an error in the connections drop down “wireless disabled – missing firmware”
    Rebooted and
    Installed: firmware-b43-installer [ver 4.150.10.5-5]
    Seconds after the this second firmware was installed, the wireless card kicked in and found my network and connected.
    Sites open up just fine and quickly.

• #4 by Mike on May 9, 2011 - 2:36 pm

Excellent! Thanks for your valuable troubleshooting.

Feel free to comment in anything else that might be helpful :)

3. #5 by eulb on August 24, 2011 - 3:57 am

Great job! You helped me out a bunch.

4. #6 by Spuffler on December 26, 2011 - 8:30 pm

Above procedure is not working with Kubuntu 11.10. The package named ‘firmware-b43-installer’ is installed but the card does not work. KDE has a wicd gui app, that doesn’t see a live card. When I insert my SMC 802.11g dongle, that device shows up and starts working. Possibly the newer release of Kubuntu decided that suchlike firmware should be found elsewhere from where APT puts the firmware of the older package?

5. #8 by Rodrigo on January 15, 2012 - 3:19 pm

Thank you so much! If I couldnt fix this problem with the wireless I would have had to go back to Windows….. that would have been very tragic

6. #9 by r0g13r on February 13, 2012 - 4:26 am

thanks, working fine!

7. #10 by wgr on March 13, 2012 - 12:38 am

thx, worked just fine for my bm 4318 under kubuntu 11.10, and nothing else was needed, the b43 module itself was already loaded automatically from install, but didn’t find any networks..

8. #11 by Mark Ratto on April 3, 2012 - 6:51 am

Thank you so much for this post. I really appreciate the information. This worked for my Linksys PCMCIA 2.4 GHz WPC54G ver. 3 Card and Ubuntu 11.04 32bit. Thank you again.

9. #12 by Mack on April 29, 2012 - 5:36 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I am so-o-o-o tried of Windows and I cannot afford OS X. I have wanted a linux OS desktop config for a long time, and Ubuntu 11+ meets my needs perfectly. Wireless connectivity is critical for my business so Aagain, much thanks.

10. #13 by Pete on July 4, 2013 - 7:31 am

I have an Acer Aspire 3003LMi and installed Ubuntu 12.04 Wifi didn’t work until I executed de given sudo command above. It worked instantly after that. Thanx.