How To Install Lexmark Z2400, 3600-4600, 5600-6600, 4900, 5000 in Ubuntu Lucid

Recently Lexmark published drivers for many of its all-in-one printer/scanner/faxes. Here’s how to get them working on Lucid (NOT Karmic). I’ve tested this on a X5650 on Lucid, 32-bit. It should work for X5070 Series, X7600 Series, X6600 Series, X5600 Series, Z2400 Series, X4900 Series, X4600 Series, and X3600 Series as well.

1. Download and Extract the Lexmark Driver Installation Script

Here is the driver file for the printers listed above:

Based on the comments, you might also find it here:

After the file has completed downloading, extract the script to your home folder. You can do this by double-clicking the file. Then click the Extract button near the top of the new window. On the left select your home folder (it will be your user name). Then click the Extract button at the bottom. Then click Quit at the prompt.

2. Install the Drivers and Printer

The easiest way I have found to do this is to switch to root in the terminal, and then run the script from there. For some reason if you don’t do this the script will keep asking for the root password, but it will not accept it.

Go to Applications > Accessories > Terminal. In the terminal type:

sudo sh

Then type:

sh lexmark-08z-series-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb.sh

Follow the instructions in the prompt, making sure not to plug in the printer until instructed. Most likely you will end up with two printers installed, but thats ok. During the installation you will install the printer and Ubuntu will also detect it. Most likely the one Ubuntu detected and installed will work.

Once the installation has finished, you can close the terminal window.

3. Test

You should now test to see if your printer works (or to see which out of the two installed works). Go to System > Administration > Printing. Right-click one of the printers you just installed. Push the Print Test Page button. If it does not print, try the other installed printer. One of them should work.

Scanning should work automatically now. Go to Applications > Graphics > Simple Scan. Try to scan something, and it should show up.

Based on http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1444847 [April 22, 2010]
[Edited for updates and formatting]

, ,

1. #1 by Max Balsiger on September 9, 2010 - 10:36 am

Thanks Mike!

With your help I got my Lexmark 5600-6600 series finally running under Ubuntu 10.
    To inform you: I had to type "sh" in the middle of the code only once.

Max (Cologne)

• #2 by Mike Beach on September 9, 2010 - 10:34 pm

Glad everything worked out for you! If you want to post the commands you used, I'll be happy to revise the walk-through.

2. #3 by nilf on January 28, 2011 - 11:56 am

much appreciated, mike.

3. #4 by Max Balsiger on March 13, 2011 - 2:10 pm

Sorry for not answering. I just didn’t realize your answer and quest. I just do not know anymore the former walk-through.. For now there was only one problem: Midwhile I had to install ubuntu again and after looking out for the man, who once helped me, I found your very helpful instructions. Important: The driver-file has not been founded so I finally tried http://downloads.lexmark.com/downloads/cpd/lexmark-08z-series-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb.sh.tar.gz
    [sudo] password for max:
    # sudo sh
    # sh lexmark-08z-series-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb.sh
    Verifying archive integrity… All good.
    Uncompressing nixstaller……………………………………………………..
    Collecting info for this system…
    Operating system: linux
    CPU Arch: x86
    TRACKING IDENT = 170209
    cpu speed = 1994 MHz
    ram size = 1975,20703125 MB
    hd avail = 133829 MB
    SELECTION ==> Lexmark 5600-6600 Series
    auto Q in 2.6.32-29-generic = Lexmark-5600-6600-Series
    #
    With a lot of Thanks and regards
    Max Balsiger

• #5 by Mike on March 18, 2011 - 8:42 am

Thank you. I’ve updated the post with your link.

4. #6 by Putsoa Makua on December 27, 2011 - 3:38 pm

How do I change to root I am trying to install the lexmark 5600-6600 Series, I follow the steps you have described then it tells me it can’t open the sh. deb file. I am new in Linux, eish I am just fiddling around with no clue of what I am doing.

5. #7 by art on January 20, 2012 - 7:21 pm

The scan works, but not the printer. Any thoughts?

• #8 by Mike on January 21, 2012 - 2:28 pm

Unfortunately I don’t have anything useful to offer. I’ve since replaced my printer so I don’t have anything to test against. Perhaps someone else can chime in.

6. #9 by Wendy on January 28, 2012 - 2:34 pm

Wendy

7. #10 by Dario on April 6, 2012 - 2:42 pm

It worked thabks

8. #11 by Jon on December 28, 2012 - 1:37 am

Thank you so much! I have been looking around on how to get this to work for a while and this worked perfectly! It works on Mint 11. I saw someone else got it working on Mint 11 so I installed it,, time to upgrade to Mint 14 and cross my fingers it will continue to work!

9. #12 by Tom on April 28, 2013 - 3:25 pm

Hello Mike. I’m just stuck with my printer. I can’t even find the STEP 2: Applications-Accessories-Terminal. Please help me doing this, I just need my scanner working.

• #13 by Mike on April 28, 2013 - 6:02 pm

If you have Unity desktop, just click the dash button and search for ‘terminal’, and run it.

10. #14 by Sleepy John on July 15, 2013 - 4:15 pm

Hi. I’m trying to install a Lexmark Z2420 on both an UBUNTU 11.10 netbook and on a 12.04 laptop. Since the printer is equipped with wifi my ultimate plan is to share the printer with both computers, but for a start I’m using USB to install on each one individually. Neither is working.

I’ve downloaded http://www.downloaddelivery.com/downloads/cpd/lexmark-08z-series-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb.sh.tar.gz and followed your instructions. The software loads and installs on 11.10, but consistently fails on 12.04. On 11.10 the Test Print fails and gives a report that printer cannot communicate with computer.

As an alternative, I’ve tried CUPS to add this Lexmark Z2420. I needed to prompt this with /user/lexinkjet/08zero/etc/lxZ2400.ppd and on both computers the installation did complete, but on neither of them did Test Print work. On the 11.10 I had the report Stopped and Server not Exporting Printers. On the 12.04 the report was Stopped and Printer Configuration error.

It strikes me that your instruction page was originally written for Ubuntu Lucid and I’m trying to make them work on Oneiric and Precise. Could this be the problem? Maybe lexmark-08z-series-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb.sh.tar.gz was the source of the .ppd file I used for CUPS which would explain why my CUPS installations also failed?

Grateful any suggestions on how to move forward on this.

• #15 by Mike on July 16, 2013 - 3:48 pm

I would suggest connecting the printer to the wifi network and going into cups and having it try to auto-detect the network printer. See where that gets you.

11. #16 by you han kimq on September 3, 2013 - 10:06 pm

its so confusing!!! like wtf??

• #17 by you han kimq on September 3, 2013 - 10:09 pm

where do we go in step 2?

12. #18 by Bob on April 3, 2014 - 7:35 pm

I’m not sure if this thread is still active, but if so, I’m installing the printer on mint (Petra, if it matters) for 64 bit, hoping it will work even though there is only a 32 bit driver…. :( either way, the script terminates with:
    Error opening terminal: xterm.
    xterm was not initially installed at all, so I installed it, with the same resultes. I then tried to run the script in xterm instead of terminal. same results. Then I tried as SU in xterm, with the same error again. Any suggestions?

• #19 by Mike Beach on April 4, 2014 - 5:49 pm

Check to see if the script has a hardcoded path to xterm, and if yours exists at that path.