Error code 0×80070544 when attempting to back up Windows 8 onto NAS over Samba

If you use Windows 7 File Recovery to attempt to backup your system to a NAS device, you may receive the following error:

0x80070544

The specified network location cannot be used.

Verify the path points to a correct network location and that the supplied credentials can be used for write access to the folder.

The validation information class requested was invalid. (0×80070544).

The solution to this is rather simple. You have to prefix your username with the name of the machine where the Samba share is located. So, if you are backing up to diskstationbackups, prefix your username with diskstation.

In my case, my username on that device is mike. So instead of using mike as my username, I had to use diskstationmike.

It works now. Enough said.

, , ,

1. #1 by chris on April 17, 2013 - 9:38 am

thank you so much, I have been trying to workout how to do get this working..

I dont know why this isn’t fixed by synology

• #2 by Mike on April 18, 2013 - 8:26 pm

I’m not sure it’s a Synology issue. I’m having this issue with FreeNAS as well, so I believe it’s an issue within Windows.

2. #3 by AK on May 25, 2013 - 7:18 pm

THANK YOU! I was about to give up on Windows 8 backup. Your tip solved the problem for me.

3. #4 by Ethan on May 27, 2013 - 1:05 am

Thank you!! This works when backing up the system image to my windows server as well. Thanks a lot! :-)

4. #5 by misfitflt on September 23, 2013 - 11:18 pm

Has anyone actually restored from an image created like this? I have a Surface Pro and I imagine I would have to install Win 8 from the USB recovery image and then connect to my network backup and recover. Can anyone confirm success doing this?

5. #6 by Bill on April 8, 2014 - 10:25 pm

Get Acronis True Image as Windows can’t just do something as simple as this with out major surgery. Shameful really They seem to think every one is a rocket scientist.

6. #7 by hefistats on April 15, 2014 - 3:21 pm

Thanks for the tip. I made it work with servername\username

7. #8 by Fred on April 23, 2014 - 3:50 pm