Migrating password data from 1Password to KeePass

I’m compelled to write this because I migrated some password data from 1Password to KeePass and it wasn’t as straightforward as it should have been, and the KeePass 1Password importer didn’t work for me.

Mind you, this will only migrate data from your Logins, not Wallet, Accounts, Software, Secure Notes, Identities, or Generated Passwords. You’ll have to move this data over manually.

So, here goes. This was done with 1Password 1.0.9.305 and KeePass 2.20.1.

Open 1Password and unlock your database.

Click File > Export, and export All Logins as Tab-delimited text.

Save your exported file somewhere where you’ll be able to find it.

Now open KeepPass and create a new database (File > New…)

After creating your database, click File > Import.

Select Generic CSV Importer, and select the file you exported previously, then click Ok.

On the importer screen, click the Structure tab and change only the settings as follows:

Under Syntax

Change Field Seperator to {Tab}

Check Ignore First Row

Under Semantics

Move the fields in the following order:

• Title
  • Notes
  • User Name
  • Password
  • URL

Here’s a screenshot as a visual aid:

1p_kp_csv

You can click the Preview tab to verify things are in order.

Click Finish, and your items will be imported under the main group (which was called NewDatabase in my case).

Comments are welcome below. Thanks for reading!

1. #1 by Brian on January 6, 2013 - 12:23 am

Just found this blog and I’m really enjoying it — especially the Synology stuff. Care to comment on why the switch from 1Password to KeePass?

• #2 by Mike on January 6, 2013 - 12:45 am

Brian,

Thanks for the comment, and I’m glad you’re enjoying the blog.

As far as 1p to KP goes… don’t get me wrong, I think 1P is a very capable product, and the iOS app is a nice touch. However, I try to keep security and cross-platform support in mind, so KP takes that over 1P. Also, the fact that 1P charges an upgrade fee is a bit of a turn-off. KP is free.

2. #3 by Dexter on March 8, 2013 - 10:52 am

Thank you this helped me.

3. #4 by acecafe on August 21, 2013 - 10:40 am

This entry is very helpful for me.
    I have done to migrate from 1password to KeyPass according to this entry.
    Thanks!

4. #5 by ezekieldas on September 5, 2013 - 11:19 pm

You must be doing this on windows and most likely have different options available. For example, on OS X 1Password 3.8.20 I do not have “File > Export, and export All Logins as Tab-delimited text.” With OS X Keepass 0.4.3 import options are only 1) keepass xml 2) kwallet xml 3) pwm

5. #6 by Kashdoller on September 16, 2013 - 6:40 pm

I use lastpass and have been doing so for over a year now, couldn’t be happier.

Join 34 other followers