Disable indexing and generation of @eaDir directories on Synology NAS

Various forums throughout the Internet have users stating that even though they’ve disabled media indexing the @eaDir folders are still being generated, and even outside the indexed folders.

In order to completely stop the generation of @eaDir folders, it’s necessary to disable the services that are generating them.

Note that after a DSM update, these services may be re-enabled.

To disable these services, log in to your Synology NAS via SSH, then do the following:

cd /usr/syno/etc.defaults/rc.d/
chmod 000 S66fileindexd.sh S66synoindexd.sh S77synomkthumbd.sh S88synomkflvd.sh S99iTunes.sh

After disabling the services, you may want to delete all the created @eaDir directories.

Any feedback on the above is welcome, please leave it in the comments section below. Thank you!

, , , ,

1. #1 by Laurent on February 12, 2013 - 1:45 pm

Hello thanks for this info.
    I just bought a DS212j and bumped into this creation of @eaDir folders and Thumbs.db@SynoEAStream files.
    It seems to be created whenever I access a folder on the NAS which have a Thumbs.db file in it from Windows 7.

I followed your instructions and after chmoding to 000 the sh files indicated, rebooting, checking that the sh files were still 000 the @eaDir folders are still created with the Thumbs.db@SynoEAStream file in each of them.

I am clueless now on what service is creating these folders / files.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Laurent

• #2 by Mike on February 13, 2013 - 8:23 pm

You may also want to have a look at:

Disable Thumbs.db creation on network drives in Windows

• #3 by Laurent on February 16, 2013 - 9:24 am

Hello Mike,

thanks for that. But I *want* Windows to maintain Thumbs.db.
        I simply do not want the DS212j (DSM ver4.1) to create these @eaDir folders.

It is clear that there is another process than the ones listed here creating these folders since chmoding them to 000 I can see that these process are not running on the Syno.

Same problem here: http://literatitech.blogspot.ch/2011/06/those-annoying-eadir-files-synology.html

We need to nail down to the process creating these folders….

Thanks anyway
        Laurent

• #4 by Mike on February 16, 2013 - 12:12 pm

Unfortunately these were the only processes that I could find relating to creating these folders. What I would recommend you do at this point is to submit a request to Synology directly using this link:

• #5 by Dave on July 15, 2013 - 4:43 pm

Yes, there is definitely some other process creating the @eaDir folders. I’ve stopped these services (and checked to make sure the associated processed are not running), but still the eaDirs are getting created. I suspect there is a new process in DSM4.2 creating them.

2. #6 by Sander on February 22, 2013 - 7:34 pm

Hello!
    I’ve followed the instructions and rebooted the Synology, but the @eaDir folder are still created :(

3. #7 by Gustavo on April 16, 2013 - 11:56 am

Hi,

Thanks for the post. I followed the directions but still see @eaDir created when I access the folder in the Mac (AFP), but not in Linux (NFS). Any ideas?

• #8 by Mike on April 20, 2013 - 2:55 pm

Is NFS hiding them?

1. [Network Administration]: No Littering! | Punctuated Noise

Share your thoughts

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s