How to get your Dell Service Tag from the command line in Windows and Linux

There’s plenty of times you can need the serial number (aka Service Tag) from a Dell machine, but not be able to physically look at the label. It’s a server in a datacenter, it’s your laptop and it’s on a dock, etc, etc. Fortunately, there are easy commands to get the serial number right from the command line in both Windows and Linux.

Windows:

From a command prompt, type:

wmic bios get serialnumber

Linux (Ubuntu and others):

From a terminal, type:

sudo dmidecode -s system-serial-number

Comments are welcome, as always.

, , ,

1. #1 by Steve Dolphin on April 28, 2011 - 4:32 am

Helpful post, shame it doesn’t work in virtualised environments though (I never really expected it to, but I tried anyway!)

2. #2 by Gee on November 5, 2012 - 3:59 am

Worked for me, thanks.

3. #3 by Carla on February 14, 2013 - 5:25 pm

I have only used command prompts once, so perhaps I am doing something wrong. When I go to the promot/dos screen, I see “C:usersCarla>” I entered “wmic bios get serialnumber” and nothing showed up. Is it a different command for Windows 7?

Thanks!

4. #4 by Carla on February 14, 2013 - 5:45 pm

Oops! It actually did work! I must have made a typo. Thanks so much!!!

5. #5 by Brianna on June 6, 2013 - 12:50 pm

Thank you SO SO SO SO much for this! I can’t make out my service tag info because the sticker is worn and the technicians acted like there was no other way for me to find the information. Thanks again for saving me time and annoyance.

6. #6 by Jeff on June 14, 2013 - 6:16 am

Ironically Mike, I needed this info just now. Google search brought it up as like the 4th result.

7. #7 by Eugene Lui on June 14, 2013 - 1:36 pm

When run wmic bios serialnumber, I got an error saying ‘PWhere’ expression for the alias underfined. What should I do? Thanks.

8. #8 by Edin K on June 26, 2013 - 8:22 am

I have been trying to find / make a script to get the asset tag number.
    not Dells Service tag, but our own asset tag that we have entered… anyone know the variable name for that, or have a working script.
    machine is a dell optiplex 9010 windows 7 .

thanks .

• #9 by Mike on June 28, 2013 - 10:53 am

Try:

Wmic bios get /format:list

9. #10 by Mr. Fixit on February 6, 2014 - 9:15 am

I also thank you, so very much!

Share your thoughts

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s